1 a message describing how something is to be done; "he gave directions faster than she could follow them" [syn: direction]
2 the activities of educating or instructing or teaching; activities that impart knowledge or skill; "he received no formal education"; "our instruction was carefully programmed"; "good teaching is seldom rewarded" [syn: education, teaching, pedagogy, educational activity]
3 the profession of a teacher; "he prepared for teaching while still in college"; "pedagogy is recognized as an important profession" [syn: teaching, pedagogy]
4 (computer science) a line of code written as part of a computer program [syn: command, statement, program line]
- Rhymes: -ʌkʃən
- The act of instructing, teaching, or furnishing with information or knowledge.
- Students receive instruction in the arts and sciences.
- Instruction will be provided on how to handle difficult customers.
- An instance of the
- If my instructions may be your guide.
- An order or command.
The act of instructing, teaching, or furnishing with knowledge; information
That which instructs, or with which one is instructed
An instruction is a form of communicated information that is both command and explanation'' for how an action, behavior, method, or task is to be begun, completed, conducted, or executed.
Instruction may also refer to:
- Teaching, a form of instruction.
- Sebayt, a work of the ancient Egyptian didactic literature aiming to teach ethical behaviour.
- Instruction (computer science), a single operation of a processor within a computer architecture
- In the context of French law (or inquisitorial systems based on France's), the instruction is the pre-trial phase of a criminal investigation that is led by a judge. More generally, it refers to phases of judicial or administrative proceedings where a request is investigated, and information pertaining to it is collected, before a final decision is made.
- Instruction (band), a rock band (2002-2005), from New York City
- Instructions (album), the second solo album by Jermaine Dupri, released in 2001.
instruction in Bulgarian: Инструкция
instruction in Czech: Instrukce (rozcestník)
instruction in French: Instruction
instruction in Italian: Istruzione
instruction in Dutch: Instructie
instruction in Slovak: Inštrukcia
accomplishments, account, acquaintance, acquisition of knowledge, acquisitions, admonition, advice, advising, advocacy, announcement, assignment, attainments, blue book, brief, briefing, bulletin, catechization, caution, caveat, chalk talk, charge, classes, coaching, command, commission, communication, communique, consultation, council, counsel, data, datum, dictate, didactics, direction, directive, directory, discourse, dispatch, disquisition, drill, drilling, edification, education, enlightenment, evidence, exercise, exhortation, exposition, expostulation, facts, factual information, familiarization, gen, general information, general orders, guidance, guidebook, guideline, handout, harangue, hard information, homework, homily, hortation, idea, illumination, incidental information, indoctrination, info, information, injunction, instructions, intelligence, knowledge, learning, lecture, lecture-demonstration, lesson, lessons, liberal education, light, mention, message, monition, moral, moral lesson, morality, moralization, notice, notification, object lesson, opinion, order, parley, pedagogics, pedagogy, preachment, precept, preparation, prescript, prescription, presentation, private teaching, programmed instruction, promotional material, proof, proposal, publication, publicity, recital, recitation, recommendation, reeducation, regulation, release, remonstrance, report, rule, schooling, self-instruction, self-teaching, sermon, set task, sidelight, skull session, sophistication, spoon-feeding, statement, store of knowledge, suggestion, talk, task, teaching, the dope, the goods, the know, the scoop, thought, training, transmission, tuition, tutelage, tutorage, tutorial, tutoring, tutorship, warning, white book, white paper, word